Monday, May 10, 2010

Mom's thoughts

"I looked on child-rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring it."    Rose Kennedy

Thank you to my friend Jill for finding and sharing this wonderful quote.  Interesting that the definition of profession is a vocation or calling requiring specialized knowledge.  I think I always thought that I had no profession once I stopped teaching to stay home with my children.  I realize now that I just changed professions.

I love being a mother and I love being present in the lives of my children.  Seeing them grow and being a participant in that process is more satisfying than I can truly describe.  Although my inadequacies seem overwhelming at times, I know the responsibility I have been given as a mother is one that God gives me the strength and power to fulfill.

"My grace is enough - it's all you need. My strength is at its best in your weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Here's something else I really liked.  Ann Voskamp writes...

Inside the frames, the bodies, the souls of our children, reside the children still to come.  And the children then still to come.

Like nestled dolls, future generations dwell within the child whose eyes I now look into, whose hands I now touch.

Every day, every parent parents thousands.  When I raise my voice, frustrated with a child, I speak to generations of children.  When I wipe away a tear, comfort, listen, I honor centuries of children.

Just a few of the thoughts rolling around in this head of mine on Mother's Day of 2010...

No comments:

Post a Comment